Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Old school meets new school

My second post. Thought I would cover my thoughts and opinions on builds. I always find myself getting various people into riding. Now comes the problem. Most "nubes" want a rad bike for cheap. We all know that's a difficult proposition.

This is a problem I have solved countless times. You see, I am a prolific builder. I build everything, but my true love is old school steel. I do not restore bikes. That's for collectors. I build mighty steeds with an un-holy mixture of old school steel and modern technology. Some may scoff, but I've never claimed to live in a box of rules. I may be old and sober, but I still have the punk rock gene in my DNA.

Here is what I am diggin' on right now. A rockin' find, to say the least. It's a Carabella. I don't see many of these, so it's a rare find.


















What makes a Carabella so rad is that it's actually a Cinelli. That's right. A Cinelli. The Italians wanted to break into the South American market in the 1970's. They decided to send one of their master frame builder's, Remo Vechi, to Mexico in the early 70's. Sweet Columbus tubes were used with beautiful lugging. The bikes were a hit. You know what that means, folks. Mass production. They became ho-hum crap steel bicycles. This Carabella has all the tell tale signs of the early Columbus tube, vechi bikes, windsor bars, campi components. The ride on it was smooth as silk grace with old school Columbus tube liveliness.


















I'm lucky, I've got a top secret source for quality steel bikes. This dude sells nationally. Can't tell you all the cool shit this guy has. I've tried to take pictures, but that is a big no-no. He's a little on the "I fried my brain with meth" side of things. But hey, that's his trip.


















Here is the plan. 86 the quilled set up. I use a 1 and 1/8 converter. Gonna clamp on the stem, that way I can put on new school ergo bars. On deck shifting, with modern Shimano levers.




























Gotta have duel pivot brakes, I do a cool mod on brakes so I can rock 700 wheels. I use a lot of Origin 8 parts - J&B distribution house brand is a great bang for the buck. I also use Xero wheels (J&B's house wheels).




























This bike is going to a young High School kid I know. He's a great athlete, a state wrestler and cross-country runner. He's a natural climber. This Carabella is one hell of a good starter bike. He is going to crush.














I find so much joy seeing people ride my bikes. It gets me stoked. So in the end, it's hard to say who gets more out of my bikes. The people I build them for, or me getting more and more people into riding and the satisfaction it gives me. Bicycles change lives. They sure have changed mine.

5 comments:

  1. Cool Carabela. I have 78 Carabela with Champion #2 tubing. Great riding bike. I'm searching for new Carabela decals, do you have any idea where I can source some?

    ReplyDelete
  2. WTF dude? It's June! Post Up!

    Found your site via Judi via DC. Keep spreading your knowledge, man and sharing your attitude. There seems to be A Whole Lot of Us Out There.

    Old Steel Rules. Pass it on...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos! Thanks for posting.
    Nice article, thanks for the information.


    Wheels Miami

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great! I have the exact same frame that you built this bike on. I have been trying to decide wether or not to just get a new bike or update mine. You have definitely convinced me to jdo what you have done here. I don't have much knowledge of building bikes however. Is there any way you could send me a list of the parts you used for this build? If so my email address is william.hamilton8@gmail.com. If you can't, i understand and tahank you for writing about this build!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great! I have the exact same frame that you built this bike on. I have been trying to decide wether or not to just get a new bike or update mine. You have definitely convinced me to jdo what you have done here. I don't have much knowledge of building bikes however. Is there any way you could send me a list of the parts you used for this build? If so my email address is william.hamilton8@gmail.com. If you can't, i understand and tahank you for writing about this build!

    ReplyDelete